3GPP release 8 first time introduce LTE Technology. All following releases enhanced the technology to next level.
3GPP release 8 provides following feature set for LTE and specifications for this release was frozen in Dec 2008.
- High peak data rates : Up to 300 Mbps in Downlink and 75 Mbps in Uplink when using 4×4 MIMO with 20 MHz system bandwidth
- High spectral efficiency
- Flexible bandwidths: 1.4 MHz, 3 MHz, 5 MHz, 10 MHz, 15 MHz and 20 MHz
- FDD and TDD Duplexing Support
- Short round trip time: 5 ms latency for IP packets in ideal radio conditions
- Simplified Architecture/Flat radio network architecture
- OFDMA in Downlink and SC-FDMA in Uplink
- MIMO (multiple antenna scheme) 2×2, 4×4
- All IP network form Access network to Core Network (SAE) i.e UE, eNodeB and System Architecture Evolution
- SON with Basic Self Configuration Features like PCI selection, Automatic Neighbour Relation
- Public Warning System with Earthquake Tsunami Warning System (ETWS) services